Born December 29, 1780 in Chesterfield, Virginia
Died August 28, 1848 in Winchester, Virginia
Elected by the General Assembly on April 11, 1831 to fill a vacancy created by the resignation of John Coalter and began his service on April 29, 1831. Service terminated by resignation.
Elected president by the General Assembly on April 11, 1831, pursuant to an act passed April 8, 1831; replaced Francis Taliaferro Brooke. Service terminated by resignation.
College of William and Mary, A.B., 1798
College of William and Mary, B.L., 1801
Other judicial service:
Judge, Superior Court of Chancery, Winchester and Clarksburg Districts, 1824-1831
Private practice of law in Winchester, Virginia, 1802-1824
Virginia state delegate, 1806-1808
U.S. representative from Virginia, 1815-1819
U.S. senator from Virginia, 1819-1823
Proprietor, Winchester Law School, 1824-1831
Editor, Commentaries on the Laws of Virginia, 1831
Professor of law, University of Virginia, 1841-1845
War of 1812
Elected, Journal of the Senate of Virginia, 1830-1831 Session, 252, and Journal of the House of Delegates of the Commonwealth of Virginia, 1830-1831 Session, 302, cited in W. Hamilton Bryson and E. Lee Shepard, “The Winchester Law School, 1824-1831,” Law and History Review, v. 11, No. 2 (Summer, 2003), 396; elected president, Supreme Court of Appeals (Richmond Session) Order Book, April 29, 1831, p. 196 (State Government Records Collection, Library of Virginia, accession 31022); resigned in September 1841, Journal of the Senate of Virginia, 1841 Session, 21; birth, death, education, and career, transcript of memorial and portrait presentation on January 4, 1938, with remarks by John Randolph Tucker, published in 169 Va., viii-xiv; see also J. Randolph Tucker, “Henry St. George Tucker,” originally published in the Virginia Law Register, partially reprinted in W. Hamilton Bryson, Legal Education in Virginia: A Biographical Approach, 1779-1979 (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1982), 601-613; portrait, Ray O. Hummel, Jr., and Katherine M. Smith, Portraits and Statuary of Virginians Owned by the Virginia State Library, the Medical College of Virginia, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and Other State Agencies (Richmond, Va.: The Virginia State Library, 1977), 125.