Born 1950 in Vienna, Austria
First elected by the General Assembly on February 23, 1991, to a 12-year term, filling the vacancy created by the retirement of Charles Steven Russell, and began her service on July 2, 1991. Service terminated by retirement.
Other judicial service:
Commissioner in chancery, Fairfax County, 1975-1980
Judge, General District Court, Fairfax County, 1980-1982
Judge, Nineteenth Judicial Circuit, 1982-1985
Judge, Court of Appeals of Virginia, 1985-1991
Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2010-present
Cornell University, B.A., 1971
George Washington University, J.D., 1974
University of Virginia, LL.M., 1992
Assistant commonwealth’s attorney, Fairfax County, 1974-1976
Private practice, Fairfax County, 1976-1980
Member, Board of Zoning Appeals, Fairfax County, 1978-1980
Elected to a 12-year term beginning July 1, 1991, Journal of the House of Delegates, 1991 Session, 1021; sworn in on July 2, 1991; 242 Va., v; oath, ix; received her commission as a judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit on March 9, 2010, Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, retrieved September 24, 2014; birth, education, and career, transcript of portrait presentation on November 2, 2011, published in 282 Va., liii, and Biographical Directory of Federal Judges; portrait unveiled in 1996, VBA Journal v. XXII, No. 2(Spring 1996), 26.